Got questions or comments about the New Jersey/New York coastal flood study or mapping in the region? Our contact information has recently changed to help you connect directly with a subject matter expert on the following topics:
- Get answers to questions about the New York/New Jersey coastal flood study, FEMA flood maps, National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) rules and regulations, and more through the FEMA Map Information eXchange (FMIX):
- Call toll free at 1-877-FEMA MAP (1-877-336-2627) (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time)
- E-mail a Map Specialist
- Chat live with a Map Specialist (Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time)
- You can also get self-service information from the FEMA Flood Map Service Center (MSC) and answers to frequently asked questions through the MSC FAQ.
- New York and New Jersey residents can call FEMA’s local flood insurance rate helpline toll free at 1-877-287-9804 for questions about flood insurance rates, requirements or claims.
- You can also visit FloodSmart.gov, the official website of the NFIP or call 1-888-379-9531 toll free to learn more about flood risk, and flood insurance rates and requirements.
- FEMA’s Building Sciences Branch provides guidance about building practices that meet the most up-to-date building codes and NFIP standards to help create safer, more resilient communities and reduce the loss of life and property. Read their FAQ or get help by contacting the Building Science Helpline at 1-866-927-2104 or by e-mail.
- Development in the floodplain is regulated and enforced at the local level. Your community may have requirements that exceed the NFIP minimum standards. Before building, please consult with your local building officials to determine any mandatory elevation and construction requirements which may apply.
- For questions related to funding, please contact your State Hazard Mitigation Officer or your local community officials.